f - Fuel tank protector
Hannover plant -
Part No. KDW2 R 2 001
The tank protector is welded to the protective runners of the tank and bolted to the longitudinal members at the side. Threaded bush with an M 8 thread (commercially available) must be inserted in the longitudinal members for this purpose.
See Drawing 10 for dimensions
I - Protection plate (5 mm
2 - Tank runner, Part No.
251 201 655
3 - Threaded bush - M 8
4 - Bolt M 8 x 25
5 - Shim
Note: The tank should he empty when the protector is installed.
- Cut protection plate to size as shown in drawing and bend at the points indicated until it rests on the tank protective runners and longitudinal members of the vehicle.
- Provisionally attach plate to runners using sheet metal screws.
- Mark holes for lateral mounting bolts (arrows) on both sides.
- Remove runners and protection plate (retain tank with additional runner in installation position).
- Outside the vehicle weld runners and protection plate together at several points.
- Drill 11.5 mm dia. holes in the longitudinal member at the points marked.
- Slightly countersink holes,
- Tighten M 8 threaded bush. If no suitable tool is available proceed as follows: screw a nut onto a M 8 x 40 hexagon bolt with continuous thread and add a short sleeve.
- Screw on threaded bush -B- and insert bolt in hole in vehicle. Press the sleeve -A- against the threaded bush via the M 8 nut until the threaded bush in firmly locked. The sleeve and bolt must not turn.
- Install tank protector. If the tank projects beyond the longitudinal member at the side, insert a shim between longitudinal member and plate.